Tom DeBlass is a proud 2nd Degree Black Belt student of Ricardo Almeida, a 4th Degree Black Belt under Renzo Gracie. Tom began his martial arts career studying Tae-Kwon-Do at the young age of 6. In high school, his love of sports drew him to the track and field team, where he excelled as a county and state sectional long-jump champion. While attending Monmouth University, where he would eventually earn a dual degree in Elementary Education and Special Education, he decided to focus his attention on training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, the world’s most effective martial art. The following year proved to be a major turning point for Tom when he met Bill Scott. Bill was studying under world renowned BJJ instructor, Ricardo Almeida, and brought Tom to the Ricardo Almedia Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy. Since then Tom has been a loyal and devoted student to Ricardo Almeida and the rest of Team Renzo Gracie. In 2006, Tom was honored with the role of co-captain of the Ricardo Almeida Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu competition team.
Professor Tom DeBlass has established himself as one of the best adult American Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu competitors. He is the ONLY person in NJ to win an adult Black Belt Pan American Title and the ONLY person in NJ history to win the North American ADCC trials two times. Success through dedication. His competition record includes medals and championships in some of the world’s most prestigious Jiu-Jitsu competitions such as the Worlds, Nationals, and Pan American Jiu-Jitsu tournaments. Professor is also an Ultimate Fighting Championship and Bellator Fighting Championship Veteran. Professor Tom and his staff have also managed to build one of the largest Jiu-Jitsu academies in New Jersey in both facility size (over 6,000 sq. feet) and student count (close to 300 students from all different walks of life). As an instructor, Professor Tom helps all individuals reach their goals and keeps classes non-competitive by offering separate classes for those looking to compete and those who do not. The academy’s environment is family-oriented and stress-free. The top priority of each instructor at Ocean County Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is to make sure each student gets the individual attention they need in order to accomplish their goals while acquiring the knowledge of a sport that has changed the lives of so many.
In 2014 Professor Tom decided to focus once again 100% on Jiu-Jitsu competition and teaching after winning his last two MMA fights by TKO, and knockout. Since then he has proved himself to still be one of the best competitor’s in the world without the Gi, winning the North American Trials for the second time and having a draw against the current number 1 No Gi fighter in the World, Joao Assis.
Tom DeBlass’ Competition Record
- 2003 NAGA NAGC Novice Heavy Champion
- 2003 NAGA Battle of the Beach White Belt Heavy Champion
- 2003 NAGA Worlds White Belt Heavy Champion
- 2004 Grapplers Quest U.S. Nationals Light Heavy Silver
- 2004 Grapplers Quest Beast of the East Champion
- 2005 Grapplers Quest Beast of the East Heavy Champion
- 2006 NAGA World Championships Black Belt Division Silver Medal
- 2006 NAGA World Championships Advanced Division Silver Medal
- 2006 Battle of the Boardwalk Advanced Division Champion
- 2006 Iron Man Superfight Champion
- 2006 Grapplers Quest National Champion
- 2006 Abu Dhabi Trial Renzo Gracie Representative
- 2007 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu World Championship Bronze Medal (Brown Belt)
- 2007 American National Jiu-Jitsu Champion
- 2007 No-Gi Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Brown Belt World Champion
- 2008 Pan American Brown Belt Champion (Super-Heavy)
- 2009 West Coast Abu Dhabi ADCC North American Trials – 3rd Place
- 2009 East Coast Abu Dhabi ADCC North American Trials Champion (second person in the history of NJ)
- 2009 Abu Dhabi Combat Championships Competitor
- 2009 No-Gi Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu World Championships Bronze Medal Black Belt Division
- 2011 Ring of Combat Light Heavyweight Champion
- 2012 Ring of Combat Heavyweight Champion
- 2012 World MMA Light Heavyweight – #3 Ranked Prospect
- UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship Veteran) -Professor Tom made it to the UFC while fighting Professionally just a year and a half.
- 2013 Grapplers Quest National Champion, Super Heavyweight Expert Division
- 2013 Black Belt Adult Pan American Ultra Heavy Champion
- 2013 Black Belt Adult World Championship No-Gi Bronze Medal
- 2013 Grapplers Quest Worlds Expert Ultra Heavyweight Champion
- PGL (Professional Grappling League) Superfight Champion against 375 lb Mark Tarman
- 2014 ADCC NY superfight Champion (Defeated Legend Renato “Babalu” Sobral)
- 2014 No Time Limit Submission Only Superfight Winner Against Nelson Puentes
- PGL (Professional Grappling League Champion) Superfight Champion
- 2014 ADCC North American Trial Champion
- Goodfight Superfight Heavyweight Champion (Submission victory over Rodrigo Correira- 64 minute match)
- Main Event in Submission Series Pro against #1 in the world No Gi competitor 2012-2015 Joao Assis. Result-Draw
- Bellator and UFC Veteran
- Professional Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) Record 9-2-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
- 2015 Inducted into the NJ Martial Arts Hall of Fame
- 2015 Black Belt Masters 1 No Gi World Championships Ultra Heavyweight Bronze
- 2015 Black Belt Masters 1 No Gi World Championships Absolute Division Champion Gold medalist
- 2016 ADCC Nationals Absolute Division Pro Champion
- 2016 ADCC North American Trials Champion
- 2017 Fight to Win 30 Main Event Winner over Ricco Rodriguez
Coach Kyle is currently a black belt under professor Tom DeBlass at OCBJJ. Kyle has an extensive wrestling background beginning at 5 years old and continued through high school where he was a4 year varsity letter winner. He was also slated to wrestle at Wilkes University before being sidelined with a knee injury. Kyle is a 207 graduate of Richard Stockton College of New Jersey where he majored in History and minored in Psychology. He currently works in the Mary A. Dobbins school at the Children’s Home of Burlington County where he works directly with a large population of at risk, behaviorally challenged, and developmentally disabled teens from all corners of the state.
- 2007 Renzo Gracie invitational Ultra Heavy White belt Champion
- 2008 NAGA battle at the beach novice runner up
- 2008 Grappler’s quest world championship white belt ultra heavy 2nd
- 2008 Team Renzo Gracie representative IBJJF no gi pan championships blue belt heavy
- 2009 Grappler’s quest beast of the east blue belt Heavy champion
- 2009Grappler’s quest world championships intermediate division open weight champion
- 2009 IBJJF no gi Pan championships Blue Belt Ultra Heavy Champion
- 2010 Good fight advanced division champion
- 2010 IBJJF no gi Pan championships Purple belt Ultra Heavy 3rd place
- 2010 ADCC North American trials participant
- 2012 IBJJF NY Open brown belt heavy division 3rd
- 2012 Grappler’s quest world championships advanced heavy division champion
- 2012 IBJJF no gi Pan championships Brown belt Medium Heavy 2nd
Jen Allen Russell
Professor Jen was awarded her Black Belt September, 2013 under Professor Tom DeBlass and Ricardo Almeida. Jen is also a very active black belt competitor in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. She started her martial arts career with 5 years of muay thai kickboxing. In 2004, Jen started training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu by joining Professor Ricardo Almeida’s team. She quickly fell in love with the sport. In 2008, Jen joined Ocean County Brazilian Jiu Jitsu where she founded a women’s only program. She teaches all levels of Jiu Jitsu to women and teens.
Jen always strives for constant learning and has recently added judo to her training regime. Jen takes pride in being a good role model and mentor to all the students.
- 2004 Gold NAGA Battle at the Beach Gi white belt middle weight
- 2004 Silver NAGA Battle at the Beach No Gi Beginner middle weight
- 2004 Silver NAGA Championships Gi blue belt and up middle weight
- 2004 Bronze NAGA championships Gi blue belt and up Absolute
- 2005 Silver NAGA Championships Gi expert middle weight
- 2006 Silver Grapplers Quest Copa Atlanica No Gi expert
- 2006 Bronze NAGA Battle at the Beach Gi blue belt and up middle weight
- 2007 Gold NAGA Championships Gi blue belt light heavyweight
- 2008 Bronze Grapplers Quest Championships
- 2008 Bronze NAGA Championships No Gi expert middle weight
- 2009 Bronze Grapplers Quest Beast of the East Gi purple/brown/black
- 2009 Gold Grapplers Quest Beast of the East No Gi Advanced middle weight
- 2009 Gold NAGA Battle at the Beach No Gi Expert middle weight
- 2009 Bronze NAGA Championships No Gi Expert middle weight
- 2009 Silver IBJJF No Gi Pan Ams Purple belt middle weight
- 2010 Bronze IBJJF NY Open Purple belt middle weight
- 2010 Bronze IBJJF No Gi Pan Ams Purple belt middle weight
- 2011 Gold IBJJF NY Open Purple belt light weight
- 2012 Bronze Grapplers Quest No Gi Advanced
- 2012 Bronze IBJJF World Championships Brown belt light weight
- 2012 Gold IBJJF No Gi Pan Ams Brown belt light weight
- 2012 Silver IBJJF No Gi Pan Ams Brown belt Absolute
- 2013 Bronze IBJJF World Championships Brown Belt Middle
- 2014 Silver IBJJF NY Open Black Belt Medium Heavy
- 2014 Gold IBJJF Master’s World Championship Black Belt Medium Heavy
Professor Anthony is currently a Black Belt under Professor Tom Deblass at OCBJJ. Anthony has a good high school wrestling background and was a 3 year varsity letter winner. He had two 20 plus win seasons and made it to the state tournament. Anthony has been training at OCBJJ since 2007, and is now a technically sound competitive black belt. Since starting at OCBJJ Anthony has made drastic changes to his life. He moved from north jersey, changed jobs and last but not least, met his wife through the academy. Anthony has put competition on the back burner because of getting married, buying a house, and expanding his family. He is now getting the competitive fire back, and hopes to make waves at the black belt level in the near future.
- 2008 Pan-Am Jiu-Jitsu No-Gi Championship Blue Belt Masters – gold
- 9/9/09 The Good Fight North Jersey Jiu jitsu Championship -Adult Blue Belt – silver -Intermediate NoGi – Gold
- 2009 Grapplers Quest Beast of The East IV Blue Belt – Gold
- 5/23/10 The Good Fight Ocean City Classic II -Adult Blue Belt – Bronze -Intermediate No-Gi – Gold
- 2010 New York International Open IBJJF Championship -Blue Belt Masters – Gold
Scott Trout has been training under the instruction of Tom DeBlass since the inception of OCBJJ. Scott is a successful business owner himself, and continues to make time to train on a regular basis as well as coach at the academy. Scott runs the afternoon classes at the academy and has a passion for helping his fellow students progress in their own Jiu Jitsu journeys. He was awarded his Black Belt by Tom DeBlass in 2015.
Ken Balcerski is in his 8th year training at OCBJJ and currently holds a Brown Belt at the Academy. Coach Ken teaches Cross Training classes, Assists in Coaching Basic Jiu Jitsu and occasionally competes with our grappling team.
Prior to joining the Academy Coach Ken was a NJ High School and Eastern United States Junior Olympic Champion in the Decathlon. He received a full scholarship and Graduated from Drexel University with a B.S in Marketing and Business Administration. His passion for sports and physical fitness helps him find applications to coaching all types of athletes. During the course of his coaching career he has helped developed numerous athletes and teams to County, State and National Championships.
Some of the positions he has held are: Assistant Track and Field Coach at St Rose H.S; Head T &F Coach at Freehold Boro H.S; Assistant T & F Coach at Stockton University and Head Strength and Conditioning Coach at the iPolevault Academy.
Coach Ken has been an avid athlete and competitor for over 30 years and has stepped on the podium more than once in Grappling, Power Lifting, Motocross, Mountain Biking, Swimming, Track and Field and Stand Up Paddle Boarding. He Loves a good challenge and especially enjoys showing people how to exercise and stay fit for life.
Coach Kyle started his Jiu Jitsu training in 2011 and has demonstrated a high level understanding of the art in a relatively short period of time. His attention to detail and willingness to help his teammates makes Kyle an asset to the academy. Kyle is currently a brown belt under Professor Tom DeBlass.
Coach Craig is a first degree purple belt under Professor Tom Deblass. Craig played many different sports most of his life which includes wrestling, football and track. After his schooling he started his career as a retail manager and started a family. He and his beautiful wife are raising 3 wonderful children. Over the years Craig kept himself in good shape but was looking for more of a challenge. He enrolled at OCBJJ in 2011 and has been consistently there ever since. In 2012 Craig was faced with an injury which sidelined him from training for a few months but he still continued to expand his knowledge by helping teach classes while injured. As time went on Craig became more involved with the coaching aspect and he is eager to pass along the knowledge he has gained to his teammates. Now Craig has been an assistant instructor for almost a year. Craig is enjoying training, instructing and possibly competing in the future.